Easy Peasy Lemon and Almond Drizzle Loaves
- 250g block of margarine
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 200g self raising flour, sieved
- 50g ground almonds
- For the syrup
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 250g fondant icing sugar, sieved
- 20 sugared lemon decorations
1. Heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4. Put the 10 paper loaf tins onto a metal tray.
2. Cream together the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, zest and juice of 1 lemon.
3. Fold in the flour and almonds until evenly combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper loaf cases. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
5. Mix together the juice of 1 lemon and 100g fondant icing sugar.
6. Put the cakes onto a cooling rack. Pierce the cakes several times with a skewer. Pour over the lemon syrup to drench the cakes.
7. Combine the lemon juice and the remaining fondant icing sugar until smooth. Top cakes with lemon sugar decorations and drizzle with the lemon icing. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Recipe courtesy of Felicity Barnum-Bobb