Lemony Yoghurt Pound Cake
- Nonstick baking spray, for coating loaf pan
- 1 1/2 cups white wholemeal flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain lowfat (2-percent) Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup lowfat (1-percent) milk
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Coat an 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
Put the sugar and lemon zest in another bowl and rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers. Add the yoghurt, milk, olive oil, vanilla, egg whites and whole egg and vigorously whisk until well blended. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture and fold until just incorporated.
Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then unmould and cool to room temperature.