Minestrone Soup with Beans
A cosy supper for those chilly evenings.
- 700ml reduced-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 (400g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (425g) can white (cannellini or navy) beans, drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 150g onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 150g cooked ditalini pasta
- 1 medium courgette, chopped
- 50g coarsely chopped fresh or frozen spinach, defrosted
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan or Romano cheese or vegetarian alternative
- Basil sprigs, garnish, optional
1) In a slow cooker, combine stock, tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, and half a teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for six to eight hours or on HIGH for three to four hours.
2) Thirty minutes before the soup is done cooking, add ditalini, courgette and spinach. Cover and cook 30 more minutes. Remove bay leaves and season, to taste, with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top. Garnish with basil, if desired.