- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 1 (800g) tin crushed tomatoes
- Handful flat leaf Italian parsley, chiffonade
- 8 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 60g freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
2) Raise the heat to high and add the minced beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps, and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about eight minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over a medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about half an hour.
3) Check for seasoning. When serving, garnish the bolognese sauce with grated Pecorino Romano cheese. Serve hot with pasta.