- 1 whole large chicken
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 4 shallots or small onions
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 leeks
- 400 grams mushrooms
- 4 egg yolks
- 250ml double cream
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 25g butter
- Pinch nutmeg
2) Add parsley, thyme and a bay leaf and poach until chicken is cooked. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
3) Cut the remaining carrots, celery, onions into 2.5cm sticks and place them in a saucepan with water to cover. Cut the leeks into 2.5cm sticks, slice the mushrooms and add to saucepan.
4) Parboil vegetables in salted water. Take out the chicken when poached (no red color must be seen under the skin) and discard vegetables from stock.
5) Strain the chicken stock through a fine sieve. Take the skin off of the chicken and cut chicken into 8 pieces.
6) Put the chicken and the parboiled vegetables into the stock. Mix the egg yolks with the cream and add to the stock. Add the lemon juice and butter. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
7) Serve in soup plates with boiled potatoes or white steamed rice.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.