Simply Delicious Strawberry Cake
- 1 (500 g) box white cake mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
- 1 (90 g) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatine
- 1 (425 g) packet frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 115 ml vegetable oil
- 60 ml water
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- For the strawberry cream cheese frosting
- 60 g butter, softened
- 1 (225 g) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (290 g) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1/2 tsp strawberry extract
- 1 1/2 kg icing sugar
- Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional
2) In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and gelatine. Add the pureed strawberries, eggs, oil and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into the prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
3) Let the cakes cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks and cool completely.
For the strawberry cream cheese icing:
1) In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in the strawberry puree and the vanilla essence. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating until smooth.
2) Spread the icing in between the cake layers and on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.