Easy Thai Chicken Curry with Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons red Thai curry paste
- 1 yellow onion, sliced with the grain
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Lime wedges, for squeezing
1. Cook 1 tablespoon of the oil, the curry paste and onions in a large saute pan over medium heat, stirring often and letting sizzle, 5 to 6 minutes.
2. Pat the chicken dry, sprinkle with salt and pepper and add the remaining oil to the pan. Cook the chicken in the onion-curry mixture until golden on all sides.
3. Add the broccoli, carrots, basil, garlic and lime zest and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are coated, about 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
4. Let the chicken simmer until cooked through and the sauce begins to thicken, about 20 minutes. Squeeze with lime juice before serving.