Christmas Morning Bread
- 450g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 150g white Stilton, crumbled
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g dried figs, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 275ml buttermilk
- 75ml semi-skimmed milk
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cover a baking sheet with some non-stick baking paper.
3. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and then add the salt, Stilton cheese, cranberries and figs and stir together.
4. Add the beaten egg to the buttermilk and milk and mix well, then pour into the flour and mix quickly. You want to handle the dough as little as possible, so literally just mix enough to bring the ingredients together, don’t worry if the dough is wet and sticky, this is exactly as it should be.
5. Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and then pop straight into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly and then serve warm, or sliced and toasted the next day.
Copyright, 2014, Lotte Duncan, all rights reserved