- For the Joconde sponge:
- 60g flour
- 4 eggs
- 140g ground almonds
- 140g icing sugar
- 4 egg whites, whipped
- 30g melted butter
- For the creme patissiere:
- 1 litre milk
- 16 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 40g plain flour
- 30g corn flour
- 1 vanilla pod (split and seed scrapped out)
- 100ml sweet sherry, to layer the trifle
- 100ml sugar syrup, to layer the trifle
- Creme chantilly, to layer the trifle
- 1 package fruit jelly mix, made according to packet instructions
Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
For the sponge:
1. Whip the egg white to firm peaks. Combine icing sugar, ground almonds and the flour in a bowl of an electric mixer and whisk at medium speed. Add the eggs one by one, pour the mixture onto the whipped egg whites and fold in with a spatula.
2. Add the melted butter, pour onto a lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Take it out of the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, make the creme patissiere by bringing the milk to the boil with the split vanilla pod and infuse it for 5 minutes. Cream the egg yolks and the sugar together and then add the flour and corn flour and mix until smooth.
4. Pour 200ml of the milk into the creamed eggs and flour and mix in, add the remaining milk and then pour back into the saucepan and bring to the boil while mixing continuously and cook for 1 minute.
5. Pass through a fine sieve and reserve for later use. Cut out 2 large circles of joconde sponge that are the same size as your glass bowl. Layer the trifle by adding half the fruit jelly into the bowl and then leave this to set the fridge for about 15 minutes.
6. Top with a circle of sponge and then generously brush with half of the sherry and sugar syrup. Add the rest of the fruit jelly and place into the fridge until set. Remove from the fridge and top with the remaining joconde sponge and brush with the rest of the sherry and sugar syrup. Finally pipe on the creme patissiere and creme chantilly.