Pears Poached in Wine with Turron Mousse
- For the pears
- 5 pears, peeled but left whole
- 1 bottle of red or white wine
- 200g sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- For the turron mousse
- 250g turron de jijona blando or nougat
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Nut brittle
- Raisins soaked in sweet sherry
1. Slice the bottom off each pear so that they stand up quite easily. Place them in a small deep-sided pan so that they fit quite tightly. Add the win, sugar and cinnamon stick and place over a medium to high heat.
2. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the pears have softened a bit. They should still be quite firm so take care not to overcook them.
3. Leave to cool down completely in the wine, ideally overnight so that the flavours have time to infuse and penetrate.
4. Mix together the ingredients for the turron mousse and whip it together until it reaches a mousse-like consistency. Serve in a cocktail glass with a spoonful of poached, diced pear and wine reduction, the turron mousse on top and garnish with some nut brittle and raisins.