Turmeric and Herb Salt-Crust Sea Bass
- 1.3kg sea bass
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 500g sea salt
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp picked thyme
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salad bowl of rocket leaves
- 50g shelled pistachios, crushed lightly
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, julienne (cut into thin strips)
- Large handful of coriander leaves
- Juice of ½ an orange
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp all spice
- Salt to taste
- Banana leaves for serving
1. Pre heat the oven to 200°C.
2. Clean the fish, gut and trim, remove top and bottom fins and gills (or get your fishmonger to do this for you).
3. Whisk the egg whites with turmeric to form soft peaks then fold in salt, chopped herbs and lemon zest carefully.
4. Place a couple of large tablespoons of egg white mixture on the base of large oven dish. Place the fish on top and then cover the fish with the rest of the salt mixture.
5. Bake this in the oven for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cracking the salt.
7. For the salad, add the sliced oranges and carrot on top of the rocket and sprinkle over the coriander and pistachio.
8. Combine the orange juice, orange water, oil, olive oil, salt and all spice and pour over the salad and serve.
Copyright, 2014, Shelina Permaloo, all rights reserved