Paul Hollywood's Little Lemon Babka Loaves
- 90g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 medium eggs
- 55g glucose or runny honey
- 215g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 150g desiccated coconut, toasted
- 150ml double cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 2 limes
- 3 tbsp jam, your favourite flavour
- For the icing:
- 200g sieved icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Lemon zest and dried rose petals, to garnish
1. Grease a square tin 22cm x 22cm with butter and dust with flour. Then line with parchment paper.Heat your oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and cream together until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is pale. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add the glucose and mix well.
3. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and fold into the mixture to incorporate. Add the coconut and cream and mix well. Finally stir in the lemon and lime zest.
4. Pour half the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth to level. Add spoonfuls of jam, (evenly spaced) onto the mixture then cover with the remaining cake mix. Smooth the top to level and bake for 50-60 minutes until the cake is golden and well risen.
5. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. To make the icing, mix the ingredients together to form a smooth paste. Remove the cake from the tin. Brush the top with the icing and scatter over the lemon zest and rose petals.