Red Velvet Swirl Brownies
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, for pan
- For the red velvet brownie layer
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- For the cream cheese layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.
3. Brownie layer: In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food colouring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour until lightly combined. Stir in the walnuts and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
4. Cream cheese layer: Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.