Waldorf Chicken Boats
Introduce the kids to salad with this one that's fun to assemble and eat.
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the salad:
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch pieces rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded
- 1 small crisp apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 3 spring onions, whites and greens divided and chopped
- 8 hearts of cos leaves
Preheat the oven to 175°C.
For the dressing: Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, oil, vinegar, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl until combined; set aside.
For the salad: Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet, and toast until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then break up into 1/4-inch pieces.
To assemble: Toss the walnuts, chicken, apples, grapes and scallion whites together with the dressing in a large bowl until everything is well coated; season with salt and pepper. Scoop a scant 1/2 cup of the salad into each romaine leaf, and arrange 2 on each serving plate. Garnish with the scallion greens, and serve.
Copyright 2015 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
Note: Never leave a child unattended in the kitchen. Limit the child to tasks that are safe and age-appropriate.
From Food Network Kitchen