Winter Golden Turkey, Vegetable and Lentil Broth with Poached Egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 leeks, washed and cut into rings
- ½ mild chilli, deseeded and finely diced or a pinch chilli flakes
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tsp paprika, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 175g green lentils, washed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1.75 litres rich homemade golden turkey stock or vegetable stock
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 175g cooked/roasted golden turkey, diced
- A handful chopped kale, cabbage or spinach
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 6 eggs
Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan, add the onion, carrots, butternut squash, celery and leeks. Toss them thoroughly through the oil and brown very slightly. Turn the heat down and add the chilli, thyme, paprika, cumin, coriander, lentils and garlic. Cook for a further 30 seconds then add the stock. Season with sea salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, place a lid on top and cook as gently as possible for 40 minutes then add the golden turkey, and kale, cabbage or spinach. Cook for a further 10 minutes, taste and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Just before serving, poach the eggs and stir the parsley into the soup.
To serve, ladle the soup into warm bowls, top with the poached egg and sprinkle with a little smoked paprika. Serve with crusty bread, if desired.
This dish is also lovely with a spoonful of thick Greek yoghurt on top. I sometimes replace the parsley with freshly chopped coriander. If you like you can also replace the butternut squash with pumpkin or swede.
A sprinkling of dukka mix on top is also lovely.
Recipe courtesy of Golden Turkeys