Posh Fridge Cake
Remember to leave plenty of time for the cake to set or it will crumble as you cut it.
- 200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 180g pack soft amaretti biscuits or 175g good shortbread biscuits, roughly broken into pieces
- 50g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 175g raspberries
- 150g blueberries
- 75g white chocolate, melted
Serves: Makes 20 pieces
1. Line a 20cm (8in) shallow square cake tin with a large square of non-stick baking paper, snipping diagonally into the corners of the paper then pressing the paper into the tin so that the base and sides are lined.
2. Add the dark chocolate, butter and golden syrup to a bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat for about 5 minutes, stirring from time to time until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
3. Take the bowl off the heat, add all the biscuits and, keeping a few nuts and berries back for the top, stir the rest into the chocolate mix. Spoon into the paper lined tin and press into an even layer. Sprinkle with the remaining nuts and fruit. Chill for 3 hours until firm.
4. To finish, drizzle the melted white chocolate over the top of the cake in zigzag lines using a dessert spoon, then chill for an extra 30 minutes until set. Lift the cake out of the tin, peel away the paper and cut into small squares. Arrange in a pretty box lined with a square of non-stick baking paper and interweave the layers with squares of extra paper and tie with ribbon. Keep in the fridge and eat within 2 days.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries