- 1 pound ground pork sausage with sage
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 20 grape tomatoes, sliced in half and sprinkled with salt
- 6 large eggs
- 10 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Two 9-inch unbaked frozen pie shells (set them out to thaw while preparing the other ingredients)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Then remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the baking powder, tomatoes and eggs together. Add the cooked sausage and the cheese to the egg mixture and stir together with a large spoon. Add salt and pepper and divide the mixture between both unbaked pie shells. Bake until the filling is set, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cook's Notes: To lighten up this quiche, use turkey sausage and egg substitute.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010