Butternut squash risotto
Cubes of sweet squash are the perfect addition to a cheesy, autumnal risotto.
- 1L chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 250ml water
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 400g Arborio rice
- 250ml dry white wine
- 1 (280g) box cooked frozen butternut squash
- Nutmeg, grated, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 30g butter
- 7 or 8 leaves fresh sage, slivered
- 80g grated Parmigiano Reggiano or vegetarian alternative
2) Heat a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil. When oil ripples, add the onions and garlic and soften 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice and toast 2 to 3 minutes more. Add wine and cook it out completely, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
3) Ladle in stock in intervals, a couple of ladles at a time. Allow liquids to evaporate each time. Risotto will cook 18 minutes, total, from the first addition of liquid.
4) Defrost the squash in the microwave in a dish to collect any liquids. Stir the squash into the rice the last 3 minutes of cook time. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper, to taste. In the last minute of cooking time, stir in the butter in small pieces, sage and cheese. Serve.