Cheese and Onion Filo Quiches with Tomato Chutney
- 50g butter
- Filo pastry
- 6-8 spring onions
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 285ml double cream
- 100g grated cheddar
- For the Chutney
- 2 large red onions
- 400g ripe tomatoes
- 65ml white wine vinegar
- 120g brown sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180°C and melt 50g of butter in a small pan.
2. Take three sheets of filo pastry and brush with the melted butter.
3. Cut into 5 inch squares then place on a 4 inch ring mould until you have 4 squares on each all in a slightly different angle.
4. Place these on a baking sheet and bake until just turning brown, about 10 minutes, and allow to cool.
5. In a food processor blitz 2 onions till finely diced. Just trim the ends off and use all the onion- the white and the green parts.
6. In a bowl mix together the chopped onions, 2 beaten eggs, the double cream, 100g of grated cheddar and season well.
7. Pour the mixture into the filo bowls and grate a little more cheese over the top and bake for about 10-12 mins at 180° C. Serve with a green salad and tomato chutney.
For the Tomato Chutney
1. Slice the onions finely in a food processor and chop the tomatoes.
2. Put a pan on the hob and add the tomatoes and onions, then the white wine vinegar and the brown sugar. Combine the ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until you have a thickened chutney consistency.
3. Cool and serve with the filo quiches.