Toasted Orzo Salad
All the flavours of the Mediterannean in a summery salad with cherry tomatoes and feta.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- One 3-inch strip lemon zest
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes, optional
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons small capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add 3 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the lemon zest and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the orzo is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Transfer the orzo to a large mixing bowl, remove the lemon zest and let cool about 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, tomatoes, if using, feta cheese, parsley, capers, dill and lemon juice. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.