- For the Shortcakes
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold (salted) butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- For the Filling
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar (depending on the ripeness of the berries)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt per serving, for garnish
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Shortcakes: Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
Whisk together 1/2 cup buttermilk, the egg, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and lightly mix with your hands just until the dough just comes together. Do not over mix. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. With lightly floured hands, gently pat the dough into a 7-inch round about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into 8 equal sized wedges. Space the shortcakes evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Filling: Combine the strawberries, sugar, zest, and juice in a large bowl. Let stand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is syrupy, about 15 minutes.
Split the shortcakes. Place the bottom halves of the shortcakes on plates and top evenly with the strawberry mixture and the yogurt. Cover with tops of the shortcakes. Dust with icing sugar, if using.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritonal analysis per serving: 1 shortcake with 1/2 cup filling and 1 tablespoon topping.
Calories 215; Total Fat 6 g; (Sat Fat 3 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat 0.5g) ; Protein 6 g; Carb 35 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 39 mg; Sodium 270 mg
Food Network Kitchens created this lightened-up recipe from a user submission. Click here to see the original recipe.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens