Cakes and Tea Breads
1. Make a sticky glaze for just-cooked buns, teacakes and fruit loaves by warming Lyle’s Golden Syrup in a pan and then brush all over for a beautiful sheen.
2. Beat Lyle’s Golden Syrup® into softened unsalted butter along with some ground mixed spice for serving with toasted tea bread.
3. Lightly whip double cream, add Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and orange flower water to taste, then gently fold in dried cranberries, cherries and candied peel to make a speedy syllabub.
4. Give gingerbread a gorgeously sticky glaze with warmed Lyle’s Golden Syrup® then strew with a few flaked almonds.
5. Sweeten softened unsalted butter with Lyle’s Golden Syrup® to make a luscious buttercream for feather light sponges and cute cupcakes. Flavour with cocoa, orange, lemon, cinnamon or lime.
6. Brush warmed Lyle’s Golden Syrup® over a large fruit cake, then arrange a selection of dried fruits and nuts on top. Brush with more syrup to glaze.
7. Enhance bread and butter pudding with a trickle of warmed Lyle’s Golden Syrup®.
8. Need a pud in a hurry? Add thickly sliced bananas to a frying pan of sizzling butter, sauté for 3-4 minutes, pour over some Lyle’s Golden Syrup®, freshly squeezed orange juice and a dusting of ground cinnamon or cardamom. Bubble away until nice and sticky.
9. Whip double cream until light and fluffy, carefully fold in softened chestnut purée and Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and spoon or pipe into profiteroles.
10. Nothing could be more delicious than a bowl of fragrant fresh strawberries marinated for a couple of hours in Lyle’s Golden Syrup®, young bright green mint leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice.
11. Team Lyle’s Golden Syrup® with dried apricots, prunes or figs and finely chopped stem ginger. Gently heat in a pan until plumped up and serve warm with vanilla custard or thick cream.
12. Simmer Lyle’s Golden Syrup®, orange liqueur and orange juice together in a frying pan until syrupy, add pancakes folded into quarters and simmer for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
13. Steep walnut or pecan halves in a pretty gift jar along with a cinnamon stick, a few star anise, a teeny tot of dark rum and fill to the brim with Lyle’s Golden Syrup®. Heavenly served over Greek yoghurt and creamy puddings.
14. Enhance a scoop of vanilla, chocolate or coffee ice cream with gently warmed Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and a scattering of toasted pecans, hazelnuts or almonds.
15. Over a gentle heat infuse Lyle’s Golden Syrup® with a few star anise, a cinnamon stick or a vanilla pod, then use for poaching plums, pears or peaches.
16. Jazz up a scoop of vanilla ice cream with some boozy raisins made by heating a generous squeeze of Lyle’s Golden Syrup® with a glug of brandy or orange liqueur.
17. Dunk skewered fresh strawberries, pineapple chunks, mango or papaya into a piquant dip of Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and lime juice for a speedy dessert.
18. Melt dark chocolate, add a little unsalted butter and Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and stir until smooth to makes a chocolate sauce for all manner of puddings and dips.
19. Give strawberry, apple, plum, peach, apricot and fig tarts a quick glaze with warmed Lyle’s Golden Syrup®.
20. Sliced orange segments taste wonderful with a splash of Lyle’s Golden Syrup® and left to chill for a while in the fridge.