Distinctive, rich and earthy flavours have made bolognese a champion weeknight dinner across Britain. We scoured our favourite recipes from Food Network chefs and the best bloggers to bring you dishes that go beyond the average spag bol.
Take your basic bolognese to the next level with recipes including Bolognese Cake, Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Bolognese, Vegan Lentil Bolognese Pizza and a carb-free Courgette Spaghetti with Beef Bolognese.
5 Clever Tips for The Perfect Bolognese
1. The classic bolognese of Bologna is made using a balance of beef, veal and pork. These provide the ultimate meaty flavour and texture.
2. In Italy, the deep signature bolognese flavour is created by adding roasted bone marrow. If you'd like a quick alternative, use rehydrated dried porcini mushrooms.
3. Add a pinch of sugar to your tomato sauce. This will help reduce the acidity of the tomatoes and will give the sauce a richer and fuller flavor. This won't make your sauce too sweet, we promise!
4. If you have leftover Parmesan rind in your fridge, add it to your sauce as it simmers. It will impart an incredible savoury flavour and make the most of your leftover rind. If you don't have Parmesan rind, grate some Parmesan straight into the sauce.
5. Don't drown your pasta in sauce. There should be just enough sauce to lightly coat cling to the pasta (almost like a dressing). The pasta, by the way doesn't have to be spaghetti. Other popular shapes to serve with bolognese include tagliatelle, lasagne, pappardelle and fettuccine.