Victoria Sponge Cake
The key to a fluffy Victoria Sponge is to use equal quantities of flour, sugar and margarine, plus eggs and baking powder in the batter.
- For the cake
- 225g (8 oz) Stork tub
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- For the filling
- 3 tablespoons jam
- For the vanilla icing
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar, sieved
- 85g (3 oz) Stork tub
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat your oven to 170°C, 160°C Fan, Gas 4.
2. Put all the sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon for 2 - 3 minutes until smooth and well combined.
3. Divide your mixture between two greased and bottom-lined 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins.
4. Pop them in the middle of your pre-heated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until beautifully golden.
5. Turn them out, remove the paper and cool on a cake rack.
6. Spread the jam over the middle, sandwich the two pieces together and dust the top with icing sugar.
7. Or for something even more delicious mix your vanilla icing ingredients in a bowl until smooth and spread through the middle and over the top of your cake.
Recipe courtesy of Stork