Vindaloo for Chicken or Lamb
- For the Hot Curry Spice Blend
- 1 rounded tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cut up into thighs, legs, wings and 2 pieces of breast, skin removed except for the wings
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the Vindaloo
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated or minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- For the Serving
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- Naan and melted butter, for brushing
- Chopped toasted peanuts or almonds
- Chopped fresh mint
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Lime wedges
For the spice blend: Combine the turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika, dry mustard, cardamom and cinnamon. For the chicken: Place the chicken (except for the wings) in a shallow dish and dress with half the spice blend, the garlic, lime juice and some salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for 1 hour.
Place the chicken wings in a small pot, cover with water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer and poach for 30 minutes.
For the vindaloo: Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, bay leaves, chilli, ginger, onions and the remaining curry spice blend. Season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7 to 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and about 1 cup of the wing stock and bring to boil. Slide in the chicken and partially cover with the lid or foil, allowing some steam to escape. Reduce the heat to a simmer and poach the chicken in the sauce, about 30 minutes.
For serving: Meanwhile, prepare the rice according to the package directions. Heat the naan on a griddle pan with a splash of water, then brush with melted butter. Serve the vindaloo with choice of garnishes over the rice, and the naan on the side.