Recipe by:Ellie Krieger
- 4 slices brown bread ( 25g each)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 125ml skimmed milk
- 85g plain flour
- 4 (175g) skinless boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1.5cm thickness
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 jar good-quality marinara sauce (about 750g)
- 85g shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp. (15g) shredded Parmesan
Serves: 4 serving1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4.
2) Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed, about 25 to 30 seconds. Put the crumbs on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes, until golden.
3) In a medium bowl, toss the crumbs with oregano, garlic powder, paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites and milk together. In a third bowl stir together the flour, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Dip each piece of chicken, 1 piece at a time, in flour, shaking off excess, then egg, then bread crumbs, shaking off excess.
4) Increase oven temperature to 200C/Gas 6. Place breaded breasts in a glass baking dish and spray on each side with cooking spray, about 5 seconds total per side. Bake breasts until cooked though and crumbs are browned, about 15 minutes. Top with marinara sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is bubbling.
(Serving size, 1 piece chicken with sauce and cheese)
Calories 410; Total Fat 11 g; (Sat Fat 4.5 g, Mono Fat 2.7 g, Poly Fat 1.2 g) ; Protein 50 g; Carb 31 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 110 mg; Sodium 1200 mg
Excellent source of: Protein, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Phosphorus, Selenium
Good source of: Thiamin, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Iodine, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Zinc