Snowman Hand Pies
These adorable pies have homemade flavour, but shop-bought shortcrust pastry means they are super-easy to make. Marmalade filling and lemon juice cut the icing's sweetness, and a touch of chocolate brings it all together.
- Plain flour, for dusting
- One 14-ounce package refrigerated shortcrust pastry dough
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 ounces (about 1/3 cup) milk chocolate chips
- 6 dried apricots, sliced into long triangles
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the two sheets of dough. Using a 3 3/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles. Using a 2 3/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out another 12 circles, re-rolling dough scraps if necessary. Place 6 of the larger circles on the parchment. Place 6 of the smaller circles on top of the larger circles, overlapping by 1/2 inch, to form the snowmen's heads.
3. Spread the 6 snowmen shapes with a heaping tablespoonful of marmalade each, leaving a 1/4-inch border all around. Brush the edges with the beaten egg. Cover each snowman body with one of the remaining large circles, then cover the snowmen's heads with the smaller circles. Crimp the outer edges of the snowmen with a fork to seal, then lightly crimp the lower edge of the head to attach it to the body. Chill at least 30 minutes.
4. Bake the tarts until flaky and golden, 20 to 25 minutes, brushing with the milk after 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth. Spread the glaze on the cooled tarts and let set, about 5 minutes.
6. Fit a small pastry bag with a #1 or #2 plain pastry tip, or snip 1/8-inch off the tip of a resealable plastic bag. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until just melted, about 1 1/2 minutes total. Transfer the chocolate to the pastry bag or plastic bag and pipe details like eyes, mouths and buttons on the snowmen. Finish with an apricot nose on each. Serve immediately.
Special equipment: a 3 3/4-inch round cookie cutter; a 2 3/4-inch round cookie cutter.
Copyright 2016 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen