- 1 (400g) tin pumpkin puree (the unseasoned kind)
- 470ml water
- 470ml unsweetened almond milk, or water
- 2 tbsps sultanas (golden or regular)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice or 1/2 tsp cinnamon plus 1/4 tsp ground cardamom plus 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 450g quick-cooking oats (not the instant kind)
- 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Honey or maple sugar, for serving
- Double cream, for serving
1) In large saucepan over high heat, combine the pumpkin puree, water, milk, sultanas, salt and pumpkin pie spice (or alternative spices). Bring to a boil.
2) Add the oats. Turn the heat down and cook according to your porridge instructions; mine usually takes about 15 minutes. Stir often.
3) Meanwhile, in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat, toast the pepitas until they're fragrant and a gentle golden brown, about 10 minutes.
4) Once the porridge is cooked (each grain should be tender), serve with honey or maple sugar on the side, pepitas to sprinkle on top and cream if so desired.