- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups wholewheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups coarsely grated carrots (about 1 pound)
- Lighter Cream Cheese Frosting for serving, recipe follows, optional
- For the cream cheese frosting
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with vegetable spray; line it with a piece of parchment paper, leaving an 1-inch overhang on 2 sides and spray the paper.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugars until pale; whisk in the oil, then the buttermilk and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold in the carrots. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Using the parchment overhang, remove the cake from the pan. Frost the cooled cake with Lighter Creamy Frosting, if desired. Cut into 16 (2 by 3-inch) pieces and serve.
To make the frosting: in a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, icing sugar, and vanilla.
Spread the frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
Copyright 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Nutritional analysis per serving of cake with frosting
Calories 282; Total Fat 11g (Sat Fat 3g, Mono Fat 2.5g, Poly Fat 3g) ; Protein 5g; Carb 42g; Fiber 3g; Cholesterol 56mg; Sodium 310mg