Chicken and Spring Onion Rice Bowl
Strong Asian flavour shines through in this scented broth.
- 1.5L reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions (about 6)
- 112g shiitake mushrooms, caps thinly sliced, stems reserved
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small bunch basil, plus basil leaves, for serving
- 1 large chicken breast (about 330g)
- ½ to 1 red jalapeno, thinly sliced (seeds and ribs removed for less heat, if desired)
- 165g frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 165g julienned jicama
- 350g hot cooked brown rice
- Lime wedges, serving suggestion
Poached boneless, skinless chicken breast and edamame are the center focus of this healthful recipe. Strong Asian flavour shines through in a scented broth that uses the shiitake stems and spring onions, along with a bold amount of garlic, ginger and basil.
Combine the broth, water, mirin, and the fish sauce in a large saucepan. Cut all but one spring onion into 1-inch pieces and add to the broth with the mushroom stems, ginger, garlic and bunch basil. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and continue to simmer until reduced by half, about 45 minutes. Remove the solids from the broth using a strainer or slotted spoon and discard.
Add the chicken, sliced mushroom caps, and jalapeno to the broth; adjust heat to keep the broth at a gentle simmer and cook 12 to 14 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and slice into 1-inch pieces.
Remove the broth from the heat; Stir in the edamame, jicama, and sliced chicken. Season to taste with salt. Scoop 90g of the cooked rice in each bowl and ladle some of the soup over it. Slice the reserved spring onion at an angle and sprinkle over each bowl along with the basil leaves. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving (without lime wedges)
Calories 360 ; Total Fat 6g (Sat Fat 1.1g, Mono Fat 1.6g, Poly Fat 1.1g) ; Protein 36g; Carb 39g; Fibre 6g; Cholesterol 49mg; Sodium 645mg
Notes: Jalapenos vary in heat, so adjust the amount of jalapeno you use to the spiciness of the pepper and your preferences.