Garnish this Southern American rice dish with spring onions, parsley and tarragon.
- 6 chicken thigh joints, bone in, skin on
- 200g andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into slices and roughly chopped the same size as the peppers
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 225g brown basmati rice, washed
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g raw tiger prawns
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- For the garnish
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped
Season the chicken thighs and seal them off in a casserole dish, making sure the skin is golden brown. Transfer onto a warm plate then seal off the andouille sausage until browned a little, transfer onto the plate with the chicken. Add the onions, peppers, celery and garlic to the pan and sweat off until softened. Add the spices, sundried tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Pour over the rice and mix thoroughly, making sure all the rice is coated in oil and juices. Add the stock, season and bring to the boil.
Cover and bake in a pre-heated oven at 170°C for 55 minutes. Remove from the oven, add the prawns, cover and return for 5 minutes.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and garnish with spring onions, parsley and tarragon.