Pastrami Football Finger Sandwiches
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- 1/3 cup pickled piquant peppers, such as Peppadews, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 32 slices cocktail pumpernickel bread squares
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 ounces thinly sliced pastrami
- 16 bread and butter pickle slices
- 1 to 2 slices white cheese, such as muenster or white American (you want about a 4-inch square slice)
- Special equipment: 16 toothpicks
Serves: 8 to 10 (16 finger sandwiches)
Preheat the oven to 190°C. Mix the shredded cheese, peppers, mayonnaise, mustard and pepper in a medium bowl.
Stack 4 slices of the bread on a cutting board. Using a knife or 2 1/2-inch round cutter, trim the bread into football shapes, save the trimmings for another use. Continue with the remaining bread.
Lay the bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet and brush with the melted butter. Place in oven and toast until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Spread about 1 tablespoon of the pepper cheese mixture on the bread. Top with some pastrami, a pickle and another slice of bread.
To make the laces, cut the cheese into 16 long strips. Cut each strip into 1 long and 3 short pieces. Lay the long strip lengthwise on the sandwich, and then the 3 short strips crosswise to make the laces. Repeat with all the strips. Put the sandwiches back into the oven for 2 minutes to set the cheese laces. Secure the sandwiches with a toothpick and serve.