- 2 large aubergines, about 400g each
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of smoked sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Cayenne pepper, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for drizzling
1. Push a metal skewers though each aubergine. Grill the aubergine on the stove top until charred, this should take about 5 minutes.
2. Poke the aubergines all over with a knife rather than a fork to get deep pokes which will stop the aubergine bursting.
3. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 5 minutes, or until soft. Alternatively, cook in a 180 degree oven for 35 minutes.
4. Once cooked, transfer to a Ziploc bag and leave until cool enough to handle. Peel off the skin. Cut the aubergines in half and hold the upper end with one hand with the other use a teaspoon to scrape down and take the seeds out. It’s a messy job, reserving the flesh.
4. Blend the aubergine flesh with the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and sesame oil to form a smooth paste in a food processor.
5. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with cayenne pepper and drizzle with olive oil just before serving.