Baby Leaf Salad with Bacon
This bacon salad is perfect as a side dish to a main course of fish or chicken.
- 225g good quality bacon
- 1 extra large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 115ml freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 340ml good olive oil
- 115g freshly grated Parmesan, plus 115 g chunk very good Parmesan
- Mesclun greens for 4, washed and spun dry
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Lay the bacon on a baking sheet, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crisp. Dry on paper towels and large dice.
For the dressing, place the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade. Process until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube (as though you were making mayonnaise) and process until thick. Add 115g grated Parmesan and pulse three times.
Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to moisten well. Divide the lettuce among four plates. With a very sharp knife or a vegetable peeler, shave the Parmesan into large shards and arrange them on the lettuce. Sprinkle the diced bacon over the salad and serve.