- 12 slices bacon, about 1/2cm thick
- Finely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Equipment: 2 baking sheets, preferably the same size
2) Put bacon slices in a bowl, season them with pepper and toss with the brown sugar. Cover a baking sheet with parchment or foil and arrange the bacon in a single layer on top. Sprinkle any sugar left in the bowl over the bacon. Top with another layer of parchment or foil and top it, squarely, with another baking sheet. The baking sheet will flatten the bacon as it cooks.
3) Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Check the bacon by lifting the top tray and parchment. If it is not golden brown and fairly crispy, resist the temptation to turn up the oven temperature and cook it for 10-15 minutes longer.
4) Check it again. Keep in mind that when you remove the tray and transfer the bacon to a serving platter or individual plates, the bacon will 'crisp' a little more. Be patient!