Beef in Black Beans and Beer
- 200 grams rump steak
- 5 slices ginger
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 broccoli, cut into large chunks
- For the meat marinade
- Sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch Chinese 5 spice
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 shot rice wine
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- For the black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Dash of dark soy sauce
- 1/4 can lager or beer (about 100ml)
- 100ml chicken stock
- For the black bean mix
- 2 tsp preserved black beans, washed
- 2 garlic cloves, washed
- Coriander to garnish
1. Finely slice the meat and bash it a couple of times and place in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add all the marinade ingredients into the meat bowl and massage well ensuring you add the corn flour last.
3. Add the black beans and a pinch of salt to the garlic and crush using the end of a teaspoon and set aside.
4. Prepare your vegetables.
5. Make the sauce with the oyster sauce, chicken stock, beer, dark soy sauce.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok to a high heat. Once smoking hot, add the onions, sliced ginger and turn the heat down to medium. Once the onions have slightly softened, add the vegetables (peppers and broccoli) and stir-fry for roughly 2 minutes.
7. Now take the vegetables out of the wok, turn the heat back up to high and add the marinated meat to the wok, adding more oil if necessary.
8. Once the meat starts to brown, add the vegetables back in to the wok along with the black bean mix, add the sauce bring to boil and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
9. Serve on a slate or large plate, garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with jasmine rice.