Recipe by:Bobby Flay
- For the NY onion sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, halved and cut 0.5cm thick
- 1 tsp ancho chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g tomato ketchup
- 120ml water
- 1/2 tsp cayenne sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- For horseradish mustard:
- 120g Dijon mustard mixed with 30g prepared horseradish
- For the roasted red pepper relish
- 3 roasted red peppers, julienned
- 3 cloves roasted garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 5g finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the hot dogs
- 8 kosher beef hot dogs
- 8 good quality hot dog buns, split 3/4 through
1) For the NY onion sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft. Stir in the cinnamon and chilli powder and cook for 1 min. Add the tomato ketchup, water, hot sauce and salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook mixture for 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature before serving.
2) For the roasted red pepper relish: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
3) For the hot dogs: Heat the griddle to high. Griddle dogs until golden brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate. Place buns on the griddle cut side down and cook until lightly golden brown, about 20 secs.
4) For assembly: Place hot dog into prepared bun. Top with NY onion sauce, horseradish mustard and then with the roasted red pepper relish.