Organic Aubergine and Minced Beef Cannelloni Rolls
- 20ml organic olive oil
- 1 large organic onion, finely chopped
- 2 organic garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp organic tomato purée
- 1 large organic aubergine, chopped small and grilled until brown
- 500g organic beef mince
- 2 tbsp organic dried parsley, plus extra for topping
- 1 tsp organic dried oregano
- 1 tin organic chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g organic dried lasagne sheets, softened for 5 minutes in boiling water
- Pinch organic chilli flakes, plus extra for topping
- For the Béchamel sauce:
- 50g organic unsalted butter
- 50g organic plain flour
- 500ml organic whole milk
- 100g organic Cheddar, plus extra for topping
- Organic Parmesan, plus extra for topping
1. Heat a medium sized frying pan and add the olive oil.
2. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent, for about 5 minutes. Add the minced beef and continue to stir until the meat is nearly brown.
3. Add the chilli flakes, tomato purée and oregano and mix thoroughly.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and aubergine and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Season to taste and set aside.
7. To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and continue to stir with a whisk. Slowly add the milk, bit by bit, and keep stirring to get rid of any lumps.
8. Add the Cheddar and simmer and stir for a couple of minutes, or until all the cheese has been incorporated. Season to taste.
9. Now it’s time to build your cannelloni rolls.
10. Choose a lasagne sheet that you've already softened slightly, and spoon your beef and aubergine mixture on the bottom section of the sheet. Slowly roll the lasagne sheet up into a compact, but not too full tube. Sprinkle over some Cheddar and place (fold side down) onto a lightly oiled baking tray.
11. Repeat this process until you’ve used all the filling mixture.
12. Gently pour over your béchamel sauce and sprinkle some Parmesan on top.
13. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.
For more inspiration and tips visit the Organic UK Facebook page.