Pickled Herring with Apple and Beetroot Salad
Beetroots are at their best this month. Pair with herring for a hearty salad.
- 2 fresh herrings filleted and the fillets cut into three
- 1 packet of cooked beetroot, cut into segments
- 100g new potatoes, sliced and boiled in salted water
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into batons
- 1 red chicory, separated into leaves
- For the pickling liquid
- 1 tbsp capers
- Sprig dill, chopped
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 100g sugar
- For the horseradish dressing
- 1 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 100g dour cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Place the herring in a shallow dish and sprinkle over the dill and capers. Pour the vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to a vigorous boil, pour over the herring and cling film immediately. Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes (overnight is the best).
To make the dressing, add all the ingredients into a bowl and season to taste.
To build the salad, place the chicory leaves onto a plate, add the apple batons, then the beetroot and potatoes. Take the cling film off the herring and place the fish on the salad. Finish with a generous spoon of the dressing.