Beer, Bacon and Cheddar Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup lager beer
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Add the oil to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and heat in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and carefully swirl the oil around to grease the skillet.
3. Add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Mix together the milk, sour cream, butter, beer and eggs in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix only until incorporated; do not over-mix. Stir in the cheddar, corn, bacon, black pepper and jalapenos.
4. Pour the batter into the skillet. Cook until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.