Breakfast of Champions
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 large red chillies, finely sliced diagonally
- 6 Chinese sausages
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 150ml water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground whole white peppercorns
- A small handful of each coriander, rau rum, sweet basil
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp crispy fried onions
- French baguette to serve
1. Heat a wide frying pan with the oil over a medium high heat until hot.
2. Add the onions and fry until soft, then add the sliced garlic and red chillies and cook for a few minutes until softened.
3. Now add the sausages and continue to sauté for about a minute.
4. To this add the chopped tomatoes along with the water.
5. Add fish sauce, soy sauce and stir.
6. Add the palm sugar and the white peppercorns.
7. Bring to a boil reduce the heat, cover and gently simmer approx 10-15 minutes until you have a fairly thick sauce.
8. Now add the chopped herbs and gently fold through.
9. Once the herbs have been folded through the mixture, crack in the 6 eggs, cover the pan and allow to simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes or so until the eggs are just cooked.
10. Remove the lid and sprinkle with crispy onions and serve with crusty bread.