Streaky bacon-braised Brussels sprouts
- 680g Brussels sprouts, washed,and cut in half
- 115g streaky bacon, cut into small squares
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed, plus 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs thyme, plus 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only, chopped
- 475ml low-sodium chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 45ml balsamic vinegar
- 50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 110g panko bread crumbs
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil
2) Take a large pan and set over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat renders, 2 to 3 mins. Add the smashed garlic clove, thyme sprigs and Brussels sprouts and cook gently until slightly caramelised. Add stock and reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and a little pepper, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes until tender. Remove lid and add a splash of vinegar and reduce until syrupy, 2 to 3 mins.
3) After Brussels sprouts are done cooking, put them in oven safe dish. In sheet tray and toss bread crumbs with rosemary, thyme leaves and chopped garlic, then drizzle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture and Parmigiano over Brussels sprouts and bake in a hot oven until golden and crispy.