Butternut squash and apple soup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp good olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 large butternut squash
- 4 sweet apples
- 2 tsps salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml water
- 500ml good apple cider or juice
2) Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. cut the squash into chunks. peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.
3) Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 500ml of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft.
4) Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsely in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
5) Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple cider or juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. check the salt and pepper and serve hot.