Pork and Pearl Barley Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil by Sainsbury’s
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 leeks, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 500g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 175g pearl barley by Sainsbury’s
- 1 litre hot chicken stock, made with 1 chicken stock cube by Sainsbury’s
- 390g carton Italian chopped tomatoes by Sainsbury’s
- 300g leftover roast pork, shredded
- 200g leftover broccoli (or any leftover green vegetables)
- 3 tbsp fresh sage by Sainsbury’s, washed and chopped, plus a few extra leaves to garnish
- 3 tbsp wholegrain mustard by Sainsbury’s
Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and leeks for 10 minutes. Add the squash and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the pearl barley, chicken stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the pork, broccoli and chopped sage and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the mustard and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve garnished with sage.
Nick’s tip: If you like spice, add chipotle paste.
Recipe courtesy of Nick Coffer and Sainsbury's