Braised red cabbage
- 12g butter
- 1 red cabbage, sliced 0.5cm thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 sweet apples, quartered and sliced thin
- 6 allspice berries, lightly crushed, wrapped in cheesecloth and tied
- 85ml red wine
- 85ml red wine vinegar
- 65ml treacle or golden syrup
2) Add salt and pepper, to taste, and the red onion, apple and allspice packet. Cover the pan and lower the flame to low-medium, turning once in a while, until the cabbage is soft, but still slightly firm, about 15 minutes.
3) Remove the lid and deglaze the pan with the red wine. Raise the heat and cook, uncovered, until the wine is reduced by at least half. Add the red wine vinegar and reduce a little, then add the molasses or cane syrup and toss to coat.
4) Cook 2 to 3 more minutes, remove the allspice packet and season with salt and pepper, to taste, if required.