Fourth of July Coleslaw
- 1 firm head green cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/4 cup diced sweet bread and butter pickles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
1. Remove and discard any bruised or undesirable outside leaves from the head of cabbage. Quarter the cabbage and grate it into a large bowl using the coarse side of a hand grater or the shredding blade of a food processor. Grate the carrot and add it to the cabbage, tossing together to combine.
2. Add the onion, pickles, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir together until thoroughly mixed. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Recipe adapted from Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen by Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2008