San Diego-style blue corn salmon tacos with orange-habanero hot sauce
- For the tacos
- 3 cold-smoked salmon fillets, 250g each
- Rapeseed oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 head green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g best-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chipotle pepper puree
- 1 tbp fresh lime juice
- 10g finely chopped coriander
- 12 fried blue corn taco shells
- Orange-habanero sauce, recipe follows
- For the orange-habanero hot sauce
- 1.5L fresh orange juice
- 1 habanero chilli
- 1 tbsp honey
1) Preheat griddle or griddle pan over high heat.
2) Brush salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool slightly and shred the meat with a fork. Place in a bowl with the cabbage and spring onions.
3) Combine the mayonnaise, chipotle and lime juice in a small bowl and season with salt. Add the mayonnaise and the coriander to the salmon mixture and gently fold to combine. Season with salt to taste, if needed. Divide the salmon mixture among the taco shells and drizzle each with the orange-habanero sauce.
For the orange-habanero sauce:
Place juice and habanero in a medium nonreactive saucepan and cook over high heat until reduced to 1 cup, stirring occasionally. Remove the habanero, whisk in the honey and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature before serving.