Waffled Margherita Pizza
- 1/3 cup canned pureed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing dough
- Large pinch salt
- 2 to 3 fresh basil leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 small clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- One 8-ounce ball fresh pizza dough, halved, room temperature
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan, for sprinkling
- Special equipment: waffle iron (preferably large)
Serves: 2 pizzas
Stir together the tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, the salt, basil and garlic. Let sit at room temperature to give the flavours time to meld, about 1 hour.
Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high. Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out half of the pizza dough into a 6-inch round (or to the maximum size your waffle iron can fit). Brush one side with olive oil and place oiled-side down on the waffle iron, then brush the other side with oil. Close the iron (don't push down) and cook until golden and cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce in a microwave until hot. Spread each pizza with half of the sauce and half of the mozzarella. Place one pizza back on the waffle iron and hold the top of the iron just over the cheese until melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and garnish with basil leaves, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat with the second pizza.
Cut the pizzas into slices with a large knife or pizza cutter and serve.
Copyright 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved