Wholewheat Spinach Mac 'n' Cheese with Grilled Tomatoes
- 8 ounces wholewheat medium shell pasta
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- One 12-ounce can non-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
- 2 cups grapes
Preheat the broiler to high.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the shells and cook according to package directions. Drain, reserving some of the pasta water and set aside.
Meanwhile, arrange the tomatoes, cut-side up, on baking sheet and grill until wrinkled and soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Combine the breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of the oil and the Italian seasoning. Sprinkle over the tomatoes. Continue to grill until golden brown, about 1 minute.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and garlic, stirring until the flour turns light brown, about 1 minute. Add the pumpkin puree and evaporated milk, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until sauce just begins to bubble and thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the Cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Stir until melted, about 1 minute.
Add the spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta and stir until coated, thin out with the reserved pasta water as desired. Divide the mac n cheese, tomatoes and grapes among four plates.