Black Bean Chilli with Tortilla Chips
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 chopped red chillies
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coffee
- 2 x 400g cans chopped or cherry tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 x 240g can cooked black beans, drained
- Soured cream, chopped fresh coriander and mint and sliced jalapeno chillies, to serve
- For the tortilla chips
- 1 packet shop-bought soft tortilla wraps
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
1. Coat the base of large frying pan with a film of olive oil and place over a medium heat. Add the garlic and brown it lightly, then add the sliced red onions and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft. Add the chillies, chilli powder, cumin and oregano.
2. Add the ground coffee and cook for 1 minute, then throw in the tomatoes and cinnamon. Simmer for 20 minutes or so to thicken slightly.
3. Add the drained black beans and simmer for another 20 minutes. If it starts looking a little dry, just add a splash of water.
4. Season, remove the cinnamon stick and serve with bowls of soured cream, chopped fresh coriander and mint and sliced jalapeno chillies.
5. To make quick tortilla chips, simply take some shop-bought soft tortilla wraps and cut them into triangles.
6. Heat about an inch of vegetable oil in a pan and, when hot, throw in some of the triangles and cook until crisp and golden.